Skip links and keyboard navigation

Traffic controller accreditation scheme

Traffic controllers are authorised by the Department of Transport and Main Roads to control traffic at road worksites and other events where a road closure or part road closure is necessary.

Traffic controller applications can be lodged online or at a transport and motoring service centre.

Do all people who control traffic need accreditation?

An image of a road sign saying traffic controller accreditation scheme No. People who do not need to be accredited as traffic controllers include police officers, escort vehicle drivers, Department of Transport and Main Roads school crossing supervisors, State Emergency Service officers and people who direct or divert traffic within a car park.

It is important to recognise that every individual who controls traffic should have appropriate training and wear appropriate safety clothing regardless of whether they are required to be formally accredited or not.

How do I become an accredited traffic controller?

To become an accredited traffic controller in Queensland, you must:

Online: (new applications only)

If you have had a digital photo image taken by the Department of Transport and Main Roads for a product such as a Queensland driver licence or another industry authority, you will be able to use the online service, however this will depend on successfully answering authentication questions. 

You will be required to upload relevant documentation to support your application (such as your course certificate) and pay the traffic controller accreditation fee by credit card.

You can not apply online for a traffic controller accreditation if you:

  • have not had a digital photo image taken by the Department of Transport and Main Roads for a Queensland driver licence or other industry authority product
  • already hold a traffic controller accreditation (renewal applications cannot be accepted via the online service)
  • already have a traffic controller accreditation application in the system waiting to be processed or finalised
  • have not held an open or provisional Queensland, interstate or foreign license for a continuous 12 month period in the last 5 years
  • are not an individual (organisations are not eligible to apply for traffic controller accreditation).

In person:

Complete the Traffic Controller Accreditation Application form (F4115) and lodge the application at a transport and motoring service centre and pay the appropriate fee.

It is recommended that you attend the closest centre to your residential address.

You will be required to present evidence of identity documentation when you attend the customer service centre to lodge your application.

Information sheets

Who provides traffic controller training?

Since 1 July 2010, the approved traffic controller training course has been available only through Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) that have approval from the department to deliver the course.

Training providers of the approved traffic controller training course are RTOs with the national competency unit "Control traffic with a stop–slow bat" on scope. They must be registered to deliver the competency unit in Queensland, and must deliver the training in accordance with any relevant Transport and Main Roads licence agreement and course requirements.

For a list of the Registered Training Organisations that have approval to deliver this course, view the Approved Traffic Controller Training Providers list.

For any questions about the course please contact Technical Training Solutions, Department of Transport and Main Roads phone 07 3066 8672.

What if I am currently an interstate traffic controller?

You are only authorised to control traffic in Queensland if you are accredited in Queensland.

If you are currently an interstate traffic controller, you may be allowed to undertake a shorter training course in partial recognition of any previously acquired competencies prior to lodging your application. For more information, you should contact a Transport and Main Roads approved RTO delivering the approved traffic controller training course.

How long does the accreditation last?

Traffic controller accreditation is issued for 3 years. It is your responsibility to ensure that you maintain current accreditation when performing traffic controller duties, and that you keep your contact details up to date by notifying the department of any changes.

How much does the accreditation cost?

See the business and industry licence fees.

What happens if I change employers?

There is no requirement under the Traffic Controller Accreditation Scheme for you to undergo further traffic controller training when changing employers. Once you are issued with your accreditation, you may work in the traffic control industry anywhere in Queensland.

However, employers may choose to provide additional traffic controller training and/or workplace induction training to meet specific operational needs and/or workplace, health and safety obligations.

What are my responsibilities as an employer of traffic controllers?

Employers have particular obligations to ensure that traffic controllers engaged on worksites are appropriately skilled and experienced for the particular road worksite conditions in which they are assigned. Employers who contravene their responsibilities or do not provide safe working conditions may be guilty of an offence.

Under the Transport Operations (Road Use Management-Accreditation and Other Provisions) Regulation 2005 employers of traffic controllers must:

  • ensure that traffic controllers comply with the conditions of their accreditation (including compliance with the Traffic Controller Accreditation Scheme Approved Procedure and Manual of uniform traffic control devices).
  • not employ, or otherwise engage, an individual to perform the function of a traffic controller if that individual is not an accredited traffic controller.

Additionally, an employer of traffic controllers must be familiar with the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 and the Traffic Management for Construction or Maintenance Work Code of Practice 2008. The Act sets out the laws about the health and safety requirements affecting some work activities and specified high risk plant. Everyone has a responsibility to care for their own and other's health and safety at workplaces, while carrying out work activities or using specified high risk plant. The Code of Practice provides practical guidance on the application of the Act in the context of traffic management in road work situations.

Registered traffic management companies

Employers of traffic controllers include registered traffic management companies. These organisations have particular obligations to ensure that safety and quality systems are in place and that all traffic controllers engaged on worksites are appropriately skilled and experienced for the particular road worksite conditions in which they are assigned.

The Transport and Main Roads Traffic Management Registration Scheme was introduced in 2010. It aims to improve safety, consistency and quality within the traffic management industry. The scheme covers all traffic management companies wishing to undertake work on state-controlled roads. The scheme focuses on factors including: financial stability, occupational health and safety, industrial relations, quality and consistency of their organisational processes and appropriate levels of training amongst staff performing traffic management related functions.

Employers must ensure that working conditions comply with the Traffic Controller Accreditation Scheme Approved Procedure as well as occupational and safety guidelines. 

What procedures do I need to abide by?

Accredited traffic controllers are required to operate at the highest standards and comply with the Traffic Controller Accreditation Scheme Approved Procedure.

What happens if a traffic controller breaches the approved procedures?

If an accredited traffic controller breaches the approved procedures, then authorised officers (such as Queensland police or Transport inspectors) may issue a penalty infringement notice or initiate prosecution action by way of complaint and summons.

The Department of Transport and Main Roads may require that the traffic controller show cause why their accreditation should not be amended, suspended or cancelled.

Queensland police or an authorised workplace health and safety officer employed by the Department of Employment and Industrial Relations may shut down a worksite if it is deemed unsafe or if the actions of a traffic controller cause it to be deemed unsafe.

Read the Traffic Controller Accreditation Scheme Approved Procedure for more information about enforcement of procedures and disciplinary actions.

What is an Industry Authority card and does it need to be displayed?

Traffic controllers must produce their industry authority card or interim industry authority for immediate inspection upon a request made by any authorised officer, for example, a Police Officer or Transport Inspector, Queensland Division of Work Health and Safety Inspector, Transport and Main Roads auditor, Transport and Main Roads Safety Officer or person in charge of the workplace (including worksite supervisors, project managers and safety managers).

Failure to produce a current industry authority card upon a request may result in the traffic controller having to leave the worksite.

An industry authority card that is lost, damaged, destroyed or stolen may be replaced. Traffic controllers may make written application, including payment of the appropriate fee to Transport and Main Roads for a replacement industry authority card.

How do I renew my accreditation?

To renew your traffic controller accreditation, you must:

What if I change my details or lose my industry authority card?

If your industry authority card is lost, stolen, or damaged, or if any of your details have changed, you may apply to have a replacement card issued.

To apply for a replacement industry authority card, you must:

What are the traffic controller clothing requirements?

For information about the traffic controller clothing requirements, read the Specification for Traffic Controller Vest Set and Shirt Option.

Traffic Controller Vest Exemption—during extreme heat

An accredited traffic controller may remove their yellow fluorescent vest as a temporary measure under certain strict conditions. Read the Traffic Controller Vest Exemption fact sheet for more information.


Feedback about training providers

If you wish to provide feedback about an approved traffic controller training provider, please send your written feedback to:

Technical Training Solutions
Department of Transport and Main Roads
GPO Box 1412
Brisbane Queensland 4001

General traffic controller accreditation scheme enquiries

Transport and Main Roads, phone 13 23 80.

Last updated
28 June 2015